Founded in 1977, DEAF, Inc. is the only Massachusetts community-based, multi-service nonprofit run by and for Deaf (Deaf, DeafBlind,Hard of Hearing, and Late-Deafened) adults. DEAF, Inc. is founded on the principle of self-determination and the rights of Deaf people to identify their own goals and follow through on achieving them, taking increasingly independent charge of their lives.
DEAF, Inc. adheres to the following 5 values that guide our work going forward.
1) Community-driven: Supporting and empowering the rights of Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing, and Late-Deafened people to decide and achieve their goals. This includes input to DEAF, Inc. programs and services. Also, ensuring staff participation, leadership, and empowerment within the organization.
2) Access: Being free of barriers to communication for Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing, and Late-Deafened people. DEAF, Inc. is committed to providing full access to our programs, services, and events. We also support and advocate for our community's access to services and opportunities in the larger community.
3) Self-Determination: Supporting people in deciding their personal and professional goals. We support people's decision-making and acknowledge that they have the right to determine what is and is not appropriate for themselves.
4) Empowerment: Creating an environment where people increasingly take charge of their lives and where staff members are active participants in the leadership of the organization.
5) Mutual respect: Respecting diversity in the Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing, and Late-Deafened community. Respect is essential for unity, self-determination, accessibility, fairness, and equality.