Title: Independent Living Specialist
Hours/Location: 35 hours a week (full-time) at Boston
Overview: The Independent Living (IL) Specialist is part of a team of IL Specialists that serve Deaf, DeafBlind,Hard of Hearing, and Late-Deafened adults and seniors in the Boston Metro region, and will manage a caseload of 50-75 consumers. The IL Specialist works closely with consumers to provide peer-based skills training,information and referral, advocacy and counseling, and guiding support with achieving their self-determined goals in multiple areas including, but not limited to, housing, income and benefits, self-advocacy conflict resolution, money management, and obtaining assistive technology. The IL Specialist collaborates with consumers’ other service providers as needed, and completes regular reports and documentation of all services provided. Throughout their work, IL Specialists carry out DEAF, Inc.’s mission and core values.
The IL Specialist will have opportunities to engage in projects and committees with other agency staff and external partners. In-service training is provided regularly and as needed.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in human services or related field, and/or two years of professional experience working with Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals
- Fluency in American Sign Language and other communication methods used by Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals, and proficiency in written English
- Ability to travel within the service area reliably and independently
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint and Publisher, and basic computer skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to work independently and as part of a team
- Awareness of issues facing Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing, and Late-Deafened people
Preferred qualifications include:
- Basic understanding of assistive technologies for home safety and communication
- Involvement with the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community in MA
- Experience providing group presentations and trainings
To Apply: submit updated resume, cover letter, and 3 letters of recommendation to: Ann Thompson, Human Resources/Administrative Coordinator, email@example.com.
DEAF, Inc. provides excellent competitive benefits including: health & dental insurance coverage, paid time off,and a 401k Retirement plan.
Position available until filled.
DEAF, Inc. is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity employer. Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing and Late-Deafened persons, women, veterans, People of Color, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.