We seek a candidate who is a self-starter and will be actively involved at scheduled ASL events in Boston, Lawrence, and/or New Bedford to promote communication interaction among event participants to increase their ASL skills. (Contract per Event)
The ideal candidate will have a strong background of Deaf culture and is comfortable being in a Deaf-centric environment.
DEAF, Inc.’s American Sign Language (ASL) Education program performs an important outreach function, addressing our mission to build bridges across communities. We have begun expanding our ASL program, offering classes at locations in businesses and organizations in the community as well as at DEAF, Inc. offices (in Allston, Lawrence, and New Bedford).
- Attend ASL social events scheduled by ASL Social Event Coordinator in various locations in Boston,Lawrence, and/or New Bedford
- Initiate social situations with signers who will benefit from support and skill improvement through conversations and activities
- Implement a developed conversation starter list to practice with event participants
- Collect data that includes number of attendees and their contact information
- Work with the ASL Social Event Coordinator as required to identify event logistics and agenda
- Report to ASL Social Event Coordinator with data on location, time, attendees, and event details
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to be organized and detail-oriented
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) required
- Excellent English writing for reports and data collection
To Apply: send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three recent work-related reference letters to:
Ann Thompson, Human Resources/Administrative Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
DEAF, Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer. Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing and Late Deafened persons, women, veterans, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.